Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The lighter side of Day No.2 - the fun bits, bring back the colour...

Either side of the black and white.
Either side of S21 and Killing Fields we did this.

We walked across the road from S21 to go to Buddhi Tree Restaurant for some lunch, as I did 4 years ago with the rest of the guys doing Tabitha. 

Boom it was closed, and not just closed but being bulldozed and renovated - even the flipping Buddhi Tree had been ripped up and taken the new location - very sad. This thing has a huge canopy like a mushroom - where you sit with friends, chill, reflect, eat, have a beer in the shade of the tree. Something I really wanted to share with Mario.

Quick recce though and we found a place very close - OK OK OK it was next door.

Back to the amazing people of Cambodia - you walk 5 meters from S21 and you meet these lovely ladies above. All 3 a mix of server and chef. All 3 with limited English, but with fun in mind and beaming smiles. What a pick-me-up after S21.


Small little place to say the least, but we had fun, we smiled again - a few beverages and some amazing food cooked in the tiniest of kitchens by these ladies. We met some very interesting people in here, some sitting writing, some chatting and then a load of guys also from our Tabitha tour, also looking for Buddhi Tree. Girls you just need grow a big f*ck-off tree for next year.


Here's that 'kitchen' I mentioned.
It's tiny. 
See the screen to the right of the kettle and green scales - that is the seating area of the restaurant.

This lady is peeling sweet potato for what turned out to be one of the best plates of chips I have ever had. Nicely done - they were incredible.


Chef gets to grips with frying said sweet potato.
Boy these were good.
We had them with a few other dishes - what a great lunch.


Off to Killing Fields - I think Mario is sensing what is to come!!!


But before we get there - we needed a quick beer stop and look who I found.
Just the cutest baby was sat with her Dad at the counter and he let me have a hug.
What made me VERY proud was that he said she never lets anyone else carry her.
MWAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! 
So cute!!! 
Kawaii, Sis!!!


On the very same street, Mario is wandering round looking for his only little cute child to pick up. 
"What about me???"
Keep looking Son.


Another fast forward in time to after Killing Fields - see separate blog.
Also see food blog for more on this little experience.

But in summary we came out from Killing Fields, our tuk tuk guy was sat in this very restaurant. We went and joined him and grabbed a couple of beers. Some food came out that smelt amazing. I asked the guy what it was and he explained Lok Luk (which I personally cook - but this looked nothing like it), he then offered me a load of his dish - go course I said Nx, er actually Yes. It was awesome. We ordered more. Then the owner (chap sat on right of table) came out for a chat - we talked re food and Cambodia over a beer. He then said let me get my wife (lady in blue) to cook you my favourite dish. Boom out comes this curry dish which was incredible. We had a ball with these wonderful people.

Again stark contrast to what we were experiencing literally 30 metres away.
Again we got cheered up massively by the Cambodian people, those who suffered - we didn't, we just watched on a TV/newspaper and every now and then come to do some good. But they are making us happy, smile, feel like family - truly amazing!!!


Back to the hotel - route suite driver, don't spare the horses!!!

On the way again more fun fun fun messing about with the guys on their scooters.


And here is the combined ganging happening again now at Liquid again.


Tuk Tuk racing off to The FCC for dinner, yep all 44 or so of us. 
Convoy!!!


We booked the place out.
Four whole rows of us - literally swamped it, but how great to see is this.
What a completely mixed bag - all races, all genders, all ages.


Including this one who clearly needs a pop to the pharmacy to get some dry skin cream, a set of nail clippers, some lip balm and some fecking toothpaste. Jesus!!!

Holy crap, when we said they'll be lot's of nails on this trip we didn't mean that!!!


Turn around and go to the other side and hello everyone over here - having fun?


And turn around again - well hello there to all.


And again - wow how many of us are there? Wonderful!


Finally I am able to get in a photo, a lovely one of the 4 of us with 'Captain Jack F*ck Knows What!'.
Certainly not a sparrow.
I can see both his hands, but where's his dagger - ouch there it is, ooooh missus!!!


I've always worried about Howard.
I don't know why.
Can't quite put my finger on it.
What could it be???
Just kind seem to get it.
Hmmmmmmm.

F*ck me - there it is, thanks mate!!!



There are two ways of eating a spring roll as demonstrated by Ruth and Mollie.

Need I say any more.

I'll leave it for you to answer who has the most experience - cough cough!!!


Pensive times with my new found Filipino friend.
Actually I think I was nearly passing out and needed the arm to support my flopping head.
But that's another story.

I will still go with;  'We were discussing socio-economic factors impacting the Philippines archipelago growth within the Asean markets.'


Pot calling kettle black???


Ahhhhh nice photo guys!


Not sure what is to the left of the tuk tuk - but I think they all want it.
Perhaps it's another spring roll???


"Are you tokking toh me?"
"Ah said are you tokking toh me?"


Unfortunately we were attempting this year to have a no injury %.

But Reevey wanted to have flaming Zambucca's, got a sneezing fit, and this was the outcome.

"Any one help Reevey, he wants to go a poo?"


Final one for this day - a rather tipsy me, with my favourite Cambodian girl - someone we have literally seen grow up over the past 4 years. Wishing you well. 

And yes I'll have ANOTHER 10 bracelets please...

Nuff said...


No comments:

Post a Comment