Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Friday - our first day of Building for Tabitha 2013

And they're under starter's orders.

House No.1 of target of 6 in 1.5 days is behind us.

Team Kennett with 3 new members and virgins to boot too are ready.

Well apart from Dougy with his hat/scarf/glasses combo - not really sure what look you're going for there matey - sort of a Khmer Justin Bieber/Eric Morecambe thing going on.


One of only two (I believe) shots that I got of me in Team Kennett - well with my camera anyway.
What a fine looking bunch.
Pumped you can tell.

Although when we said to Olynn its banging nails in not having your nails done - she did wobble at the knees just a tad.


OK so 3 ladies on my team - I'll let you choose.
Would you have;
A


&B


&C


Or A, B & C???


Fine figures of men, well one bloke and he's our foreman.
But seriously what a team - we truly jelled together and put that first house up in a really quick time, with absolute focus on quality - no corner turned, no wobbling panels, no wobbling boards, no nails not turned down - great work Team Kennett!!!


And here she is - house No.1 2013 Tabitha - family looks on eager to get in there.
Proud moment No.1.


Of course you need some R&R.

I spotted this bamboo pole fashioned in to 'ladder' up the palm tree where the guys run to collect the fruits to then dry in the sun as a herb.

I'll have a go at that says the big lad. Whoospy.
That bamboo and the hidings clearly designed for a size Cambodian not size Kennett.
Creaking and straining I had to make my slow descent to the ground only having go to about 3/4 of the tree total height - very disappointing. 

One other funny thing.
See my trainers.
Day 1 in the bus on route to the site the grips fell off.
I step off the bus and the entire sole falls off both trainers.
Next two days I wore trainer tops - very uncomfortable, like wearing socks on a ladder.


Why do we come back year on year on year - yep these guys.
This meagre house on stilts is hopefully a life changer - we truly hope.

Six foot in the air from off the ground is a small feat but nonetheless one that hopefully keeps them above the floods that come in and traditionally was away the housing.

Wishing you all the best kids - and thanks for posing for a wonderful photo.


Lol clearly had too much starch put in his t-shirt at the hotel.
At least he's happy though.


Approaching the end of day one.
We built four and helped finish off a couple of others.
Team Kennett - STIRLING work - that equates to about 20-30 people you just directly impacted.

As the sun starts to set the guys seem to be returning home from wherever they were. This is the bottom of the 'street'. 

As Madness once sang;

"Our houses, were built in the middle of this street..."

Or to the picture below as Soul II Soul once sang;

"Keep on mooooo'ving..."

Dear me - think I have heat stroke.


I really love this shot below.
No not because I'm really hungry right now.
It shows how basic life is here, basic but fundamentally stunning.


I used to have a burnt out car at the bottom of my street in Margate.
These guys have...


And to top it off, on the very long drive home, we hit the open marshland areas and Cambodia delivered us this view. OMG.

What a 1st day.


No comments:

Post a Comment