Monday, November 11, 2013

S21, Phnom Penh, Cambodia - with my mate Mario

I never thought I would go back after my first trip 4 years ago now. 

But I did.

I went with my mate Mario, and to be honest in a strange way I am so glad I did. It had the same, if not more impact this time - to explain that I mean because trip number 1 I really had not 'met' many Cambodians. 5 years on I have met and hopefully impacted 100's. Once you have done that you appreciate how amazing this country and the people of the country are to come from this atrocity to just a beautiful country and beautiful race of people.

I am keeping all these in black & white. Not to be arty, but because the colour from S21 (previously a High School) disappeared many many years ago.

The 10 bodies that were found in S21 when it became 'liberated' - clearly far too late.


It truly is haunting. 

These used to be school rooms full of kids, learning and likely laughing.

Now...



My mate Mario.
We hardly spoke.




Rows upon rows upon rows of those tortured then slaughtered.



Just looking in his eyes, he knows what is about to happen.
So very sad!


It use to be a school.


Now left as it was then, covered in barbed wire.



Tunnels cut through the schoolroom walls to enable guards and prisoners to be moved without seeing outside. In each of these classrooms, on either side of this tunnel are tiny cells constructed of wood or stone where the captives were held - or where there were no cells they were simply chained to the floor top to toe.


You can see how small the cells are from this. Just tiny.
Inhumane.



It's just a scary, haunting, harrowing place - but I just had to see it again!
Thanks for sharing it with me Mario.


No comments:

Post a Comment