Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Plough, built 1350 - and no again not ten to two in the afternoon... WOW!!! Sunday 7th July.

Gather up ye families of Kennett and Silvester and let's have a Hey Nonny Noo and go exploring in the country-side.

Off to The Plough, a beautiful place, built just outside Teynham, Kent in 1350. That's not too bad is it - two trips in 2 weeks to two pubs nearly 700 years old a piece!

Apparently the original building is from 1260, with the pub finally taking shape in 1350. It's one of those beauties with huge fireplaces, beams, dried hops and clearly a lot of history. I heard that it has some popular folklore that a man once shoed his horse actually at the bar - go figure, beats changing a flat tyre I suppose!

Did we need the fireplace today though? No not at all. We were sat at the front, table for 11 under the welcoming shade of a huge walnut tree. Oh yes!

Here she is!


Out back was a huge garden backing on to the fields, much stuff growing eu natural.

A huge sort of playground, come assault course for the kids out the back, and only one exit out so easily 'policed' whilst brother Richard and I sampled some of the local Shep Neame Pale Ales. Apparently this was a recently discovered recipe that had been sitting in some box - thank gawd they found it, it was absolutely delicious. 

Perfect for sitting under that walnut tree, staring at the front of The Plough, awaiting our food.

So yes the kids had fun out back.



Rope swings.

Walking the plank - good balance Amy - or Medusa as we called her this day, check those plaits out! EIGHT in total, yes EIGHT!


Ollie became taxi driver for Amy, zooming her all over the garden.
I am not 100% certain but I think 'maybe' the car might be a little small for Amy - what you think?
Almost like a Caesarean section birth happening - out the sun roof.


I have to admit I messed up here a little as I only got to photo the starters we ordered.
I think when the mains came we were ravenous and just dug in before I could get the camera lens off.

Man this was great food, well done Plough, and well done UK - I have to admit I was a little wary coming back and eating out, but so far it has been pretty damn good across the board with the stand outs (apart from Mum's of course) being these two pubs.

Below is wild mushrooms, the big boys, sliced and fried in beer batter and served with garlic sour cream with chives. Yes it was. It was fantastic.


Plus King Scallops (roe left on) with pancetta and asparagus and a foam sauce of some description.
Big thumbs up from all concerned!


I got our server to take a snap of Kennett-Silvester clan sat at table under walnut tree,
How good is that, come on seriously it's just wonderful isn't it!


Have you heard of Gerald Durrell? A fantastic author of natural history. I have all his books, something like 30 in total from when I was a young lad.

Well he wrote a book called 'My family and other animals...' I think his first.

So his is 'My family, and no animals...'

Or are there...?

Monkey No.1 Amy


Monkey No.2 Ollie


My Sis Nikki


My niece Jemm Jemm - well done on the job Jemms, so so glad you're enjoying that!


Silvester Corleone himself, the Godfather, or because of where Nikki works, perhaps he is the Codfather of Teynham - my bro Richard.


My nephew David - trying to keep up with my beard growing I see


My beautiful Nanny - so lovely to see her out and about with us all having a laugh and enjoying the banter!


Yep another niece, Melly - believe me I had to stand for bout 30 minutes get this one. David Attenborough has better luck with prides of Lions! He He!


And finally, but by no means least - my gorgeous Mum.
No more needs to be said, love you Mum.


No comments:

Post a Comment