Saturday, July 20, 2013

Canterbury and Cuba all in one day...

Day No.3 in UK and off to Canterbury for an explore and some shopping and family lunch.
Canterbury is just a beautiful city, steeped in history as you walk within the walls of the old city, see the market places, historic buildings and of course the cathedral.

Did you know it was originally called Durovenum Cantiacorum by Roman conquerors in 1st Century AD. After that we got it to Canterbury when it was a Jutish settlement - but it was derived from the Old English Cantwareburh (which means Kent people's stronghold) - how about that!

Christianity took over Kent in 597, and that concluded with the appointment of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and when Thomas Becket (see Dover Castle blog) got whacked in 1170 it turned in to a sort of holy pilgrimage location for Christian's across the Globe. In fact where do you think Chaucer's 14th century story, Canterbury Tales, came from - yep the pilgrimage to Canterbury.

Take out the people and the building and possibly this is what it would have looked like back then. In the distance you'll see the stone building which is Westgate Towers, one of the entrances to the walled city and then the straight walk up, the now, High Street to the Cathedral.


Sneak peak down the side street - this place is bloody amazing.
It's just overpowering when you stand and look.


Everywhere you turn there is history.
Beautiful stained glass windows on the houses along the river.


Higgle di Piggledy houses from medieval times in the main.
See what I mean above the heads of the shoppers, not one shop is the same.


What a lovely lunch we had with my Mum, Nan, , Sis, Bro and (new sis to be) Claire.

I really cocked up though as I ate one of the nicest slow roasted pork belly dishes ever, and I didn't get a bloody photo for food blog. Dickhead. It was bloody good!


Out the back of the restaurant is this - a VERY old building sitting on the river. Now a restaurant/coffee shop as well. But in the olden times there was a witches ducking stool. 

Yep if she survives a drowning on the stool she is a witch and needs to be burnt at the stake.
If she dies, she's not a witch - well done!
How bizarre.
Guilty until proven innocent by dying - hmmmmm!



My beautiful girl Amy.
Just coming back from the loo and looking out the window.
Gorgeous AmyBoo.


Whilst we were having lunch she was busy colouring in a picture that the waitress then took and posted on the restaurant wall. So even though we are now back in Singapore, some of Amy's artwork is still in Canterbury a hanging on a wall. I think she was quite proud of her work, do you?


Didn't know this, but Michael Caine has a restaurant here in Canterbury - interesting.


Went a tad arty with this one.
A sort of monument come statue in the square outside the gates to the Cathedral.


Turn around and you get this above the gate to the Cathedral - how amazing is this stuff.


My old symbol of work when working for Her Majesties Customs and Excise - the portcullis. I think it was on my old work hat as the badge.


We bought sweeties at this Olde English Sweet Shop - selling all the old favourites. Here's my Mary tucking in to a bag of chocolate honeycomb. I think she said something like I need to eat it fast before it melts? Good one babe.



I love these two - messing about with foreground and background focus again on the new camera.
Here's my little girl and my brother - nicely both wearing pink (yes I did have a strong word with DK re this - ha ha).

And this is where the Cuban reference kicks in - as we're sitting in a Cuban Bar, drinking Cuban beer in a lovely sunny back garden off the High Street. Lovely! Chilling and chatting and playing with the kids. What a fantastic end to the day in Canterbury. Just lovely!


I don't think Darren could wait any longer to have his drink by normal means of picking it up and sipping. Not DK, he's so manly he snorts his beer!


Sis and Ollie - nice!
Although Nikkie said delete it I hate my photos, I think this is a belter Sis.


Don't know what happened here.
Amy became a wickle baby, sucking her wickle thumby.
Goo Goo, Gaa, Gaa.


My choice of beverage.
When in Rome...
Well when in a bar in Canterbury that is of the Cuban origin...

2 Cristals thanks love!


Sorry - but indulge me as this is pretty cool.
I found a new function on the camera for taking sports shots.
So I asked Ollie to go to one corner and run to me - click, click, click, click...
What's fun is if you scroll down fast, it looks like he's running at you - cool!








Kids playing. New game from Amy is...
Yep Zombie faces - oooooohhhhh scary Amy!!!


And Ollie doing his Zombie face - whoa Ollie EVEN SCARIER, how did you pull that face mate?


And the final one - a keeper for the family album thank you muchly.
A beauty of my kids with their Uncle and soon to be Aunt.
Plain lovely innit!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment