Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Welcome to the family Kennett, our new babies

We have found a new prawn fishing place that is just SUPERB.

Just down the road from us at Big Splash, on East Coast Service Road for those in Singapore. For those not in Singapore, its like 10 minutes down the road.

It's a good one as it has prawn fishing for Mary and I. And the kids get to do longkang - "what's that?" I hear you say. Longkang translates from Malay to English as - drain. Yep literally drain - a conduit for liquids.

Why am I letting my kids go play in a drain?

Clearly I am not, ha ha. Although if these two wanted to, I certainly could not stop them. In Malaysia after the heavy rains the longkangs would flood, and fishes would be found swimming in them. SO like myself when I was a kid fishing for newts and sticklebacks in the gullies in the country, the Malay kids would arm themselves with net and jam jar and go fish. That has now come to Singapore as a popular past time and my two love it, as you'll see.

So I retain my position as a caring, responsible parent - cough cough!

So now in Singapore they have created little pools and fill them full of goldfish, guppies and the like and the kids (by the hour) get a net, a little tank and basically go fish. They are allowed to bring 12 home in the tanks to keep - I think Mary was eyeing these up as some sun dried little snacks to be honest - no Mary they are for the kids, and kids no they are not to be sun dried little snacks!

This new place has it all. Prawn fishing, longing, sea water fishing (in a pond), fish foot spa - the lot. Great afternoon out. Here's how it went.

Number 1 son - net at the ready. Ollie said to me; "Dad this is my new girlfriend." "Hey???" said I. "Well Dad its Anette!" Wey Hey Ollie it's the way you tell em!!!


So whilst the kids are entertained running after little fish with a net, giving half of them heart-attacks the adults get to chill and prawn fish. Very therapeutic, and now we're actually getting quite old hands. I even challenged the float position as too incorrect, and I was right - ha ha! The Prawn Master!

Here's Mary rod in hand, clearly enjoying it.


Don't tell anyone, but Amy had a long dress on (yes Mum and Nan it's her birthday present - sorry it arrived as a parcel and I gave it to Amy to open. She loves it so I couldn't take it back - whoopsy, it's an early present, ha ha). So we had to tuck it in her nickers (sorry babe). I think you got away with it though as they look like shorts - PHEW!


Lovely little place isn't it. Like a little fairy glen, with a pond. My two fairies going crazy chasing fish. Sure is back-breaking work.



Did I say I was also relaxing, and relaxing with a beer - he he - you know me. This is awesome, just chilling out whilst wetting a line, chatting to Mary and absolute peace and quiet. Prawns clearly cannot say; "Daddy...", "But Daddy...", "Daddy can we have...", "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy..."



Fisherman and Fisherwoman - very proud of their catch.

Yummy said Mary.


Here is the combined efforts for the hour - now what we going to do with these? Barbecue said Mary.



And a couple of the fruits of our labour for Mary and I. I won the competition today with most caught - I think we got 11 in the end.

Then it's skewer up the bum and on the BBQ to eat there an then. For the prawns that is, not Mary.

You should have seen the one that got away!



A  little fish foot spa action. Even Amy having a go this time, although she mostly sat there giggling and dipping her foot in and out, still she had a go. Basically these are Dr fish who eat all the dead skin from your feet with little raspy mouths. 

Beats biting your own toe nails I suppose! 

Very relaxing!


I think the kids may have had their feet in there too long. They looking a bit shorter to you?


And welcome to Kennett Condo - our new babies, part of the family already. Mum are you proud. I was able to go to the fish shop and order pumps, filters, lights, gravel etc. Reminded me of the old days at home with the big tank. We only got a small one, but looks great - might bring us some much needed luck too - Feng Shui and all that!


So what a tiring day, but fun filled day. 

So tiring it must be like jet lag, as the next afternoon this happened.

Oh no girl down, girl down! 

Night night Amy, dreaming..... "fish, fish, fish, zzzzzzzzzz"


No comments:

Post a Comment