Sunday, September 15, 2013

Degrees of separation and all that - it's amazing sometimes isn't it...

This one blew me away - hope you don't mind me posting this Barry?

So I am playing football Friday night for Ollie's old teacher's team from Eton House.

We're over at UWC Dover campus.

I am playing central defence so the furthest from the defence of the UWC team.
However I noticed a guy from that distance and started to think - "I think I know you...?"

He came up to our end for a corner, and I thought I'll just ask;
"If I said Chatham House Grammar School would that ring a bell mate...?"

And yes it did. He was indeed Barry Daniels from Chatham House, when I was at school there. He is still mates with Greg Pasco back in UK who was my across the road from my Mum's neighbour and mate. He has lived in Singapore 5 years, and prior to that 10 in Thailand. He is a Biology teacher for UWC now and clearly member of the football team.

You see what I mean about the degrees of separation?
How mad is that.

If I had not played football that night (and I was touch and go as had had some work on my tattoo on my leg, so that was sore) we would not have met again and I would never have known he was in Singapore. 

But get this - the last time I saw Barry was at school, a school that I left in 1986 - TWENTY SEVEN years ago. It blows me away too! Ha Ha!

Hoping to catch him for a reminisce and a few beers sometime soon.

How small this world is sometimes! Quite incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment