Monday, December 24, 2012

"Alternative Santa" - Gangnam Style


So I was asked to be Santa by Amy's School. We decided to be slightly "alternative" with our approach. So;
  1. Costume - traditional
  2. Voice - not traditional, no ho ho ho'ing but chatting & engaging and being a little funny
  3. Music - two phase with us wanting to enter and have normal for background, then some fun to get the kids up and dancing;
    1. Background and entrance music - traditional
    2. Dancing music absolutely not traditional Xmas with Gangnam Style
So here we are in the "green room" preparing. Nerves on the edge. What will they think of me, will they like the show, will we be asked back. Ha Ha. Nah not really. We're just waiting for all the kids to assemble in one of the rooms.

So messing about.

Mary with her santa - she's been naughty this year, but if she keeps doing that I am certain she'll still get a present ha ha!




Well we were in the dancing studio of the school rooms! Come on, it's just Santa warming up for later!


Now you may seem some slightly blurry photos within the next few segments. Don't panic!
It was when the kids were being taught Gangnam style dancing by Mr Ollie (my elf) Kennett and yours truly Santa. Blurred cos those kids were bopping and having an absolute scream of a time.

Thanks for helping Ollie and Mary for being official photographer!

3 year olds first

Ok the format here was get in and play with the kids, get their attention right up front. Then I had to sit on a chair and each kid would come up with a little sack they had made out of paper for me to dish out sweets. I let the kids help themselves though, as I would think that much more fun for them.




Awwwwww - how cute!




I was rationing to about 3-4 sweets per kid as there was only one bucket. This little lad went for it and ended up with about 6 or 7, hence Santa's face expression. Ha Ha!


And we're off - Gangnam session number 1! Just too good, the kids really really enjoyed this! I think a little different, but got them all up and jumping around giggling.


Class shot with the teachers, just lovely!


4 year olds next

Then on to Amy's classes - the 4 year olds.

A little different in that they all came to chat and sit on my knee. I think also very inquisitive as to who it was under the white hair and beard. I know most of these as see them nearly every day when dropping and picking up Amy. BUT I think some were truly bewildered ha ha! 


Where's your mouth they kept asking!



Above and below, my elf kicks in and teaches Gangnam style - check the faces out of the kids - they were having such fun!


Then back to the chair to hand out presents. Basically every one had to buy a gift for 5 dollars and then wrap and in to a pot it went. Each present got numbered and then they were shared out after the kids had chosen the number from the basket I am holding.


Here's my angel - looking gorgeous Ame, just beeeeautiful!


Funny thing was that Amy actually chose the ticket for her own donated prize. Didn't matter at all though as it was a good present (Dora pencil case) that she hadn't seen. SO just like receiving a present anyway!



This little guy below was super cool. He has the maddest jacket on for a 4 year old. It was a tux jacket. He was soooooo cool!




Little Yuki having fun with her gift choice. She's a darling, always saying HI in the mornings.



Elf & Munchin!


Amy auditioning for 'My Fair Lady' - "By George I do believe she's got it". You just gotta sing 'the rain in Spain' now Amy and we'd have a musical on the go.



A lovely class shot with all the kids.



5-6 year olds next

Again slightly different format here for the kids.

No sweets or gifts, so Ollie and I went straight for the jugular with our secret weapon.

Yep more Gangnam style dancing, to rapturous delight - again check those faces.




Even Santa got down with the elf for this one. Check those blurs on the photos, these kids were really moving!


Then to class by class photo sessions with the teachers now too.



Happy Happy faces all round.





Even the teachers wanted a turn to sit on my lap ha ha! The lady below is down to be Amy's new teacher next year at the moment.



Back to Amy's class for farewells & 121 photos (well sort of)

Then we were back upstairs. Sorry had not told you that part. 3rd floor, to ground floor to 3rd floor. Yes Santa was a sweaty Santa.

Now to final farewells and photos with Amy's year mates. SOme great snaps here. We tried to get them one by one, but chaos ruled and they were all running about. Hey who cares these are just lovely photos.








Here come the teachers again! Must be something about my aftershave! Ha Ha! Er does it look like I have shaved!!!! Ha Ha!!





And my favourite of course with my Amy - Happy Christmas pumpkin, love you very much!






We had a scream. The kids really made the day for us all today. 

Ollie had a ball teaching them Gangnam style, even with Santa stepping in to the groove.

Was it worth it, hell yes - it was such fun and to see the little ones faces light up, laugh, smile, giggle. And then to get a note like this from Amy's teacher, Ms Pat - well enough said, yes categorically it was worth it and I would do it again without skipping a beat.

Thanks to SchoolHouse for asking me to do this and thanks to the kids for making it such a special and fun day for me, Ollie and Mary.

Warmest Regards Amy's Dad - aka Santa!

"Dear Mr.Kennett and Family,
 
Thank you very much for the joy you brought into the Christmas party for this year. We are all looking forward now for next year and probably until Amy is in K2 (so please save the Santa costume). I heard that you've been such a wonderful Santa! With all the big smiles from the children and teachers who told me how fun it was to have you and with your family there to help you out.
 
I did leave a message to Ms.Laura to assist you, I hope it was of big help. 
 
Kindly accept our simple token of appreciation, for you and your family.
 
And I did get the lovely cookbook from the Semi-Naked Chef, thank you for this. I'll definitely try out the recipes. 
 
Have a Merry Christmas to you and your family!
 
Cheers,
Ms.Pat
 
P.S. I would surely miss little Amy next year and having all of you bring her to my classroom every morning with all your big smiles. :))"


No comments:

Post a Comment