Friday, August 24, 2012

Proud Dad Moment - AGAIN - UPDATED with full speech now!

OK I can now update with the FULL Oliver Kennett, winning speech that has now made him Captin. He finally remembered to bring it home - bless!

Fingers crossed everyone.

Here is Ollie giving his "pitch" to the school as to why he should be voted for by them to be School Captain. Mary and I went along to watch this today - WOW, PROUD PROUD PROUD!

Sorry re the quality of the photos - but dopy Dad forgot camera, so I only had the camera on the Blackberry.

This is him with his new teacher, Mr Richard.


Look at this - like a Presidential Candidate campaign. These are all the kids going for the position, there will be a boy and girl position, and decision (once all votes are collated and counted) is made next week and announced at the assembly. Yes we will be there to cheer him on.


He was AMAZING. So clear concise commanding. He really was. SO SO proud of him if he gets or does not get the position, he was just amazing. 

Have to say though the other kids were all so so good. Quite a daunting task when you have parents, teachers and the whole school in front of you. But they all nailed their speeches, just wonderful to see how well 9 and 10 year olds can carry this off. SO good.


Here's his speech, well what he can remember (yes he forgot to bring it home - so there is actually a lot more to this, about 1.5 minutes long) - all written from scratch by him - how good is this?? 

Proud Dad over and out.

‘Hi! My name is Oliver, I am 10 and I am half British and Japanese! I am saying this speech because I would like to become your school captain from 2012 to 2013. If you are wondering why I should be captain it is because I would like to make the school a fun and safe place.

During the past year, bullying and teasing has been a big problem and if it carries on it will get worse. I have also done a play called ‘A Few Good Kids’ about this issue. I would like to be captain so I can stop it and become a friendly person to all of the school, teachers, parents and students.

If you have not got a friend to play with or you have nothing to do or you feel lonely don’t worry just ask me and I will play with you!

I have been with the SRC once and I have joined the Big Buddies because I want to see school as a life long memory not a kid's worst nightmare. I think I show three qualities a captain should have, Caring, Cooperation and Open-Minded.

I show that I am caring because I do not want to be popular I just want to be a friendly icon in the school. If someone is new in my class or not I do not leave that person, I become friends! I show Cooperation because I help others during group work or group games or teams in an activity. I also show Cooperation with other students to bring the school to a whole new level! And I also show I am Open-Minded because I listen to other people’s ideas and I share my ideas too with everyone.

I know a lot of other boys who would make a great school captain but I would try to be a captain to change the school. At the moment I have many friends and I hope to get more in the future. So I would like to be your school captain in tis school to make the days, weeks and whole year the best we ever had. Thank you for listening to my speech. Vote for me and take the school above the limits.'

4 comments:

  1. to the point , covering serious issues - Terrific, Ollie . Well Done !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ollie, keep that good heart, whether you are voted captain or not really doesn't matter, it's what you feel and act on that counts, your empathy is already well rounded and compassion obvious, keep with that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ollie- you won’t remember me but I remember you from years ago in Melbourne and all I can say is that your Mum would be so very proud of you, and this speech reminds me of her

    ReplyDelete