Sunday, August 19, 2012

Did anyone see this yesterday?????

Yes we had a sun halo in Singapore yesterday 18th August 2012.

I don't think I have ever seen one before. Certainly Mary and the kids had not, so we spent about 15 minutes passing my sun glasses between each other to look at this absolutely amazing sight.

Basically a halo is, as the name suggests, a ring around the sun or moon that looks like a circular rainbow. Just a beautiful thing. We saw this yesterday at about 1300, just after we left hawker for lunch.

Check this out, how beautiful is this. Not the best quality sorry as I only had the camera on my BlackBerry. But saying that, you get the picture right - just amazing. What you don't get is the colours, truly it was rainbow rings, huge rainbow rings around the sun in a beautiful clear sky.




There are many types of ice halos. They are produced by ice crystals in the very high cirrus clouds, usually about 5 miles up in troposphere. Apparently the shape and position of the crystals will make different types of halo.  Sunlight is reflected and refracted by the ice crystals to give the rainbow effect - literally the crystals act as prisms/mirrors reflecting the sunlight. So similar to a rainbow, BUT a rainbow is reflecting/refracting water droplets not ice crystals as in this BEAUTIFUL Halo!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I saw this beautiful Halo, which I thought was a circular rainbow, when I looked out of my kitchen window. It was real awesome, and I took photos quickly, didn't expect it to last for more than half an hour.... :)

    ReplyDelete